Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Rod Stewart, My Rock 'N' Roll Idol

If only I could remember just how old I was the first time I heard a Rod Stewart song. Obviously, I was quite young as I still slept with my bedside lamp on and radio playing. I recall awakening one evening immediately captured by a tune running through my room. As I laid there with my eyes wide open, I thought it was the greatest sound to ever hit my eardrums. It was “Some Guys Have All the Luck,” but I would not discover the title or the artist until several years later.

Fast-forward to age 17 when my mom and I returned home from one of our many travels to McCook, NE. I was driving my new Honda Accord, and as I parked in our driveway Rod Stewart hit the speakers with “This Old Heart of Mine.” Immediately, I recognized the voice from my youth and inquired with my mom. “Oh, I think this is that guy your dad likes,” she replied. Hilarious, who would have known that he was a fan all along!? From this point onward, I dove into every bit of Rod Stewart music I could find, and finally identified that song from my past.
 
 
 
As fortune would have it, living in the Kansas City area allowed me to witness him live in concert twice when he performed at the Sprint Center in July 2009 and April 2011. Both nights were eminently enthralling. The first time I attended with a friend, and we sang along to every song as fans our parents’ age stared at us in amazement wondering how we knew all of the lyrics.

SETLIST - JULY 28, 2009: Some Guys Have All the Luck, It’s a Heartache, This Old Heart of Mine, The First Cut is the Deepest, Havin’ a Party, You Weart It Well, Downtown Train, Tonight’s the Night, You’re in My Heart, Twistin’ the Night Away, Forever Young, Proud Mary, Have I Told You Lately, Love Train, Hot Legs, Young Turks, Have You Ever Seen the Rain, Maggie May (encore)
 
My event tee and program from the Rod Stewart
concert at Sprint Center on July 28, 2009
The second opportunity was the consummate bonding experience with my dad, and forever a beloved memory. I was overly thrilled I was with him for his first time seeing Rod and hearing his favorite song “Maggie May.” It was The Heart & Soul Tour. Stevie Nicks opened up that night, and together the two put up an epic performance.

SETLIST - APRIL 12, 2011: Love Train, Tonight’s the Night, Havin’ a Party, Passion (w/ Stevie Nicks), Leather and Lace (w/ Stevie Nicks), Forever Young, The First Cut is the Deepest, This Old Heart of Mine, Twistin’ the Night Away, Some Guys Have All the Luck, Downtown Train, Reason to Believe, You’re in My Heart, Sweet Little Rock and Roller, It’s a Heartache, Rhythm of My Heart, Knock on Wood, Have I Told You Lately, Hot Legs, Maggie May, Do You Think I’m Sexy (encore)



My event tee, program and ticket from the Rod Stewart
concert at Sprint Center on April 12, 2011
Till this day, Rod Stewart remains my favorite musical artist and “Some Guys Have All the Luck” and “This Old Heart of Mine” remain my two favorite tunes. He struts this ultimate ladies’ man mystique and with a raspy British voice, incredible lyrics and slick dance moves combined with flash, charisma and class, he is pure gold. And, I always think that if ever there is a reason to write a screenplay about my life, it should open with that fateful night as a lad when I first heard him sing.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment