Tuesday, July 30, 2013

One Crazy 80s Summer in 2013, Part 3 – Richard Marx

Two days after the Huey Lewis and the News concert and the night before flying out to Las Vegas for a five day work trip, Richard Marx performed at Central Park in Andover, Kan. (Wichita). Seeing him in person was huge on my bucket list, however, it was a concert that I truly thought would never get checked. In fact, he had not played in the area in the last decade. Not only was he just down I-35 a couple of hours, but the concert was offered for free by the city. Although I was crunched for time with packing and getting ready to leave town, it was an opportunity that I could not let slip away, even if my lovely girlfriend had to cancel her hair appointment!

Tickets were available to pick up in person (and only in person) at several local businesses in Andover. Luckily, my good buddies Matt and Tony live in the area and were able to do me a huge favor.

Free Richard Marx tickets to his performance at
Central Park in Andover, Kan. on June 22, 2013
Courtney and I met up with them for burgers before hitting the park. It was already packed when we arrived. We did not set up shop with our camping chairs super close, but it was rather easy to make our way down to the stage. You can bet I did that for my favorite two songs, “Endless Summer Nights” and “Should’ve Known Better.” Lyrically, they are maybe not the best songs to hear with my girlfriend, ha! But, wow what positively gratifying and memorable moment.

Richard Marx performing "Endless Summer Nights"
In addition to playing a full range of my favorite 80s love tunes, Marx also added in a line of newer material and songs he wrote and produced for other artists. The night was made even more impeccable by the atmosphere and perfect weather, which was simply crazy for a mid-June evening in Kansas. Needing to be one of the first cars out of the area, we hightailed it for the makeshift parking lot as the music came to a close and he headed off stage. Fireworks capped off the evening and shot over head as we made our getaway, super dreamy!

My hottie girlfriend Courtney and me enjoying
the sweet sounds of Richard Marx
Up head in Part 4 of One Crazy 80s Summer in 2013—a free Pat Benatar & Neil Giraldo w/ Loverboy concert in celebration of America!

No comments:

Post a Comment